Friday, October 06, 2006

Look At Me With Starry Eyes

OK, let’s say you’re at the mall with your 5 year old sister. Maybe you have a sister, maybe not, but for this scenario, you do in fact have a sister and she is 5 years old. The two of you are walking around the mall, just kinda killing time, and to both of your surprise, you notice there is a woman leaning against the wall, wearing some low riding jeans and a bra… and that’s it. She’s just standing there, leaning down a little, looking totally bored and nonchalant, but is wearing nothing but jeans and a bra. She’s pretty good looking, she had a nice figure, and she seems clearly comfortable enough in her skin to be hanging out in the mall without a shirt.

Now, let’s say you and your sister are a little surprised at this, but you really don’t want to make a commotion about this, so you just sort of try not to make eye contact and lead your sister further down the mall and past this uniquely dressed woman. Once you get out of ear shot, your sister asks you “why did that woman not have a shirt on?” At which you reply that you have absolutely no idea.

Would you agree that if this situation were to actually occur, somebody would probably end up telling somebody else about this and eventually some sort of mall security would walk up to this woman and politely ask her to either put on a shirt or she would have to leave the premises? This makes sense, right? Her being partially unclothed definitely makes this shopping experience more awkward for you and your sister, and it is probably doing the same for many other people as they walk pass her.

However, now let’s say that right before the scantily clothed woman left the mall, and employee ran out of the store where she was leaning against, and this person quickly asked if they could take a photograph of her. She complies and this employee gets a picture of her leaning toward the camera and smiling. Then this employee takes this photo down to Walgreens, blows it up to be about 7 feet by 4 feet, and puts this now giant photo of a woman in a bra in the window of the store they work at, which is Gap Body. So, here’s the question… what’s the difference between a woman standing at the mall in her underwear and a giant poster of the same exact image?

Regarding your 5 year old sister, was your first instinct to protect her from seeing a woman in a bra? And if so, why? She, too, will one day be a bra wearing lady. May as well get comfortable with the idea now. Or maybe she is too young to have to think about that. If so, when would be a time to wrestle with that and why wait?

I like it when people try to be pure. What do you think about that? Perhaps it’s impossible to be pure and a little bit of impurity makes one more well rounded? Do you try to be pure? Do you go out of your way to protect yourself from becoming less pure? Do you know anybody that you would consider to be a pretty pure person, and would you consider that this trait has been good or bad for that person?

You are at the beach, reading a book next to your wife. A gorgeous girl in a bikini walks by as you nonchalantly look up from your book. You notice that she seems really “well made”. That is holy. That is righteous. She was well made. I spent a lot of time making her just right, and you should stare in awe of My creation. However, it’s what you do with that image of her, now floating in your mind, that makes all the difference. I made beautiful women, and I think you’d agree that I’m pretty good at it. I hope you enjoy them. I hope you can see Me through them.

The Lightning Seeds - Pure.mp3

6 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger Brown Shoes said...

Jesus - you're ingenious.


bs

 
At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I've got a 5-year-old sister, I'm guessing I'm between the ages of 11 and 16. Therefore, my response is to stand there and stare at the shirtless woman.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Cassandra said...

something I once heard:
what's the difference between watching two people have sex, and watching two people simulate it on a movie screen?

different topic, same principle.

oh, and Jesus - I just read John Stott's Cross of Christ. one of those things where one's immediate reaction is worship.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Lee M. Krempel said...

That was a great breakdown of a fairly complex subject. Well done, sir.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Matthew Iverson said...

I do, Jesus. I really do thank you every time I see a "well-made" woman. I also thank her plastic surgeon. I salute you both! Look, no hands!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

being pure is hard work. I often wonder why You made us the way you did but I trust that You know what You're doing and it's up to me to have self-control. You recently prompted me to have a talk with my wife about these struggles. It was difficult but she showed me Your mercy. Thanks Jesus!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home