Thursday, March 09, 2006

Black And White Mix Tape

My skin color... not too important. What I said... pretty important. Here is a mix I made for you, with songs where the color of skin gets a little mixed. Most of these are simple covers, but rearranged in a way that help the lyrics shine through in a whole new light. Sometimes you need to do that with Me. Take My stories about Me you have heard over and over, and look at them from a new angle. Thanks to all who helped with ideas.

(Probably not safe for Conservative Churches. I, Jesus Christ, do not much enjoy cussing, but I used to be good friends with a lot of rough guys, and believe Me, I have heard worse. Sitting around that fire at night, those fishermen were RACEY! They started cutting it out once they got a little more into the fact that I was seriously actually God sitting right there next to them, but even then, they had trouble holding it back from time to time. Ok, I'm dragging this out a little too long, so onto the mix. Enjoy.)

NO LONGER ONLINE

01. Nina Gordon - Straight Outta Compton.mp3
Veruca Salt girl singing softly about being from Compton.

02. Unholy Trinity - Bring The Noise.mp3

Countryfied Public Enemy.

03. Ben Folds - Female Dogs Aint BM.mp3
Oh, that Ben sure can cuss humorously.

04. Dear Nora Casio For The Painfully Alone - Hotboyz.mp3
Missy E turned all indipop.

05. Jonathan Coulton - Baby Got Back.mp3
Oh, the awkwardness of it all.

06. KT Tunstall - Get Your Freak On.mp3
More Missy from a whitey.

07. The Gourds - Gin And Juice.mp3
Internet classic that should be on all mixes.

08. Richard Cheese - Insane in the Brain.mp3
This one hurts.

09. R.E.M. - I Will Survive.mp3
Putting this on was pushing it, but worth it.

10. Belaire - Through The Wire.mp3
Kanye indiefied.

11. Dynamite Hack - Boyz N The Hood.mp3
Hack's claim to fame... and they opened for Weezer.

12. Sinead O'Connor - Vampire.mp3
Sinead loves Me and I love her.

13. My Morning Jacket - Tyrone.mp3
Badu by way of Kentucky.

14. Evan Dando - How Will I Know.mp3
This is pushing it, too, but a fun cover none the less.

15. Boys Suck - The Chicken Cow.mp3
Wesley Willis cover that will keep you up at night.

16. Eef Barzelay - Ballad Of Bitter Honey.mp3
I love Clem. This is the song that started the idea for this mix.

17. Beck - Debra.mp3
Not a Prince cover, but should be.

18. Lyle Lovett - Church.mp3
Respect your roots, indiekiddies. Lyle paved the way for the Unicorns.

19. Spiritualized - Lord Can You Hear Me.mp3
Yet another track that doesn't completely work, but you get it because I LOVE it!

10 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Blogger Amie said...

jesus. are you using MS word to type your entries or something?
none of those links work.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger wwjblog said...

Ha Ha, funny joke! I got you guys good! Now try them.

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well worth the wait. Great mix.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Man, Jesus, you are one awesome Savior! This is awesome.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Felix said...

Thank you Jesus, but really you don't have to try and impress us. You've already died for us, so you can relax a bit. Although I do enjoy these mixes.

 
At 2:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

who is the "ballad of bitter honey" song originally by. That song is beautifully sad.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger wwjblog said...

regarding the bitter honey song, that actually is not a cover, but an original song by eef of clem snide. the last four tracks on this are not covers but originals that i thought sounded like they would fit well here on this mix. as far as cussing at the "relgious people" back in my day... yeah i really let them have it, but i didn't really cuss at them. sure, i told them that they were like really really clean graves (pretty outside/decaying inside... i can be harsh), but i steered clear of the 4 letter stuff. taylor, i liked your end of the world mix. peace out.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger FRITZ said...

Dear Jesus:

Firstly, I am glad to see you really digging all the music that is available. Surely, the range is much broader than it was when you were human and godly all at once.

Secondly, I have to wonder if you have ever tried listening to 'gabber' or dark techno. It does sound rather Ayran and angry, but I'm not a Nazi or anything. I was just curious what you would think of such scary sounding evil music.
It's good to work out to,though.

And lastly: I am so glad you've begun a blog. I'm quite a gnostic, with a degree in Theology. JC, I could tell you all about transcendentalism and existential theory and Hegel and Keirkegaard and Kant and all sorts of metaphysical theories. This is good for intellectual fodder, but it kinda put a rift between me and You.

I like the fact that you would hang out with me, even though I'm wierd and a little lonely and covered in tattoos. Thanks for making yourself available.

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you reconsider putting these online again? You have a few I have been looking for.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger M Pereira and Michael Fierce said...

Any way to still get your mixtape? looks like a classic to me.
michael fierce

 

Post a Comment

<< Home