So, now that I'm back in front of the internet, I've been going back through the past summer's worth of info. Thank My Dad for Tivo and Best Week Ever! One mp3 that I find Myself playing over and over is by some girl named Kim Taylor. If your blog had this song posted, thanks for it. I know very little about her other than what I found on her Myspace page, but I'm loving it and it's suprisingly making more rounding on My ipod than Regina Spektor (but barely)... Kim Taylor - Elvis And Jesus (live).mp3 If you enjoy this, here's a link to the whole show. Apparently, she opened for Over The Rhine last December, and this is from one of those shows. What do you think? She no Regina Spector, or is this just as good if not better? Right now, ladies I'm in love with puts Kim in first then Regina then Lily Allen and then all girls equally. Liz Phair will rot in Hell.
Many of you are saying, “Son of God, you’ve been gone a long time. Now that you’re back, what’s your thoughts of the comic industry these days?” Great question, many of you! I mean, how boring is politics! I am a huge comic fan, and I loved both the crappy X-Men 3 and the kinda crappy Superman Returns simply because it is so great to see them up on the big screen. This week also marks the start of the San Diego Comic Con, which is the biggest comic convention in the world. Therefore, I can think of no better topic to ramble about than this cool art form. So ramblers, I’ll start rambling…
Comic books have been fun this past year. If you never ever read comics, go read “Watchmen”. If you are a comic nerd, than you read “Watchmen” years ago and are sick of it getting name dropped whenever somebody talks about good comics. So, heres a quick list of comics besides “Watchmen” (or anything by Frank Miller) that is exciting!
1. Marvel Zombies – If the name of this miniseries sounds cool to you, buy it now! If it sounds lame, stay away. Me, however, being a HUGE zombie fan (I did come back from the dead and walked out of my grave, you know), I loved this comic. The plot is lame… in an alternate marvel universe, everyone is a zombie, including all the marvel heroes and villains. However, exactly how important is a plot when all the marvel heroes and villains are zombies! The art is killer and the humor is dark. If you like Spiderman and the Evil Dead trilogy, this is the comic for you. Plus, it’s written by Robert Kirkman, which brings me to #2…
2. The Walking Dead – Also written by Robert Kirkman, and also about zombies, this ongoing series is a dream come true for all of you who always wondered what happened when the helicopter flew away at the end of “Dawn of the Dead”. The magic of this series is that there is no end in sight. It follows a family in a world full of zombies, and it keeps following them, and keeps following them. There is no end in sight for their zombie epidemic, and thankfully there is no end in sight to their story. Drawn in a simple yet fun black and white, this story is part soap opera, part horror, and part survival story… which all add up to a fun series that would make possibly the coolest television hour long drama known to mankind. If this was a show that aired against “Lost”, I’d pick this without giving it a thought.
3. Justice – An Alex Ross comic starring the Justice League verses the Legion of Doom. This is probably the coolest thing currently happening in contemporary comics. If you don’t know who Alex Ross is, quit reading this post.
4. All-Star Superman – Most Superman stories suck, which is too bad because he is my favorite superhero of all time… which makes sense due to the blatant plagiarism of my biography… but for the most part, there aren’t too many amazing Superman graphic novels. Maybe if you count “Kingdom Come”, you’d have a winner, but that is more of a “team” story. With the exception of “For All Seasons” or “Secret Identity”, there’s really nothing too bragable about Superman stories. However, these All-Star Superman comics are really good stuff. They are playful and exciting, and they play and feel almost exactly how an actual “Superman Comic” should feel. Not too serious, but not to cheesy either. All and all, I’m a fan of these, and if you have been craving a solid Superman run, check out this Grant Morrison run.
5. Astonishing X-Men – This is just about my favorite X-Men comics ever. Granted, Jesus Christ is in love with Joss Whedon… but it makes sense, that guy is a gift to all things pop culture!
6. League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 3 – This ain’t out yet and I’ve yet to read it, but I’m counting down the days til this hits the comic stands. If you think these comics sound lame because of how terrible the movie was, PLEASE give these comics a second chance. This, my friends, is literature that should be taught in English 101 classes across the world.
7. Aquaman – There has been no such thing as a solid run of Aquaman comics until 2006, thanks to Kurt Busiek. His Aquaman run makes you really wish James Cameron would actually make an Aquaman film.
8. G.I. Joe - You heard me, G.I. Joe is cool again, thanks to the new run of G.I. Joe comics that treat the characters as cool as you thought they were when you used to watch the cartoon, but putting them in contemporary situations in a contemporary America. Cobra terrorists attacking America, with Snake Eyes saving the day.
Proof that sin is alive and well in this world – Doug Benson can’t make it through the second round of Last Comic Standing. I mean, come on! That guy is a ringer! Best Week Ever without Doug Benson is like Lucky Charms without marshmallows. I’m gone for a little over a month and humor officially died while I was away. And Spiderman unmasked himself in front of news cameras? What’s this world coming to? Oh wait, I know what it’s coming to… and the ending will surprise you more than this “Lady In The Water” probably will.
So, hey gang. Missed you guys. I’ve been away from My desk the past 40 days, getting in some Me time in the desert. Well, Me time and God time and a little bit of Satan time, too. Hope you didn’t forget about Me. I was thinking about you guys a lot. Just walking around thinking. It was mostly a great time. I packed light, didn’t even bring food. I just sort of walked around in the desert all day and all night, mostly talking to God but sometimes feeling like I was just talking to Myself. The devil tried to get Me to make all your lives a little worse, but I kept turning him down. He’s trouble, but nothing I can’t handle. Mostly, it was just great spending some quality time with My dad. He loves and cares for Me a lot, even though sometimes He has ideas for My life that I’m not a huge fan of. All and all, you can’t get a better dad than the one I have, and believe it or not, you have a dad that loves you just as much as My dad’s love for Me. That love recharged Me like Superman heading toward the Sun (saw the Superman movie today… LOVED IT!).
So, how’s your summer been? Any news I got to get caught up on? Any song climbing the hype ladder to be the next Gnarles? I missed My blogging buddies, hope all is well in the interweb. I hear there’s a David Bazan album out now. Anybody hear it yet? There’s also apparently 3 new Griffin House albums, when did that happen? Any of the new Dylan leak yet? Any news on that? Please tell Me Springsteen is going to make lots of Seeger albums like Wilco should keep doing with those Mermaid Aves. This post is a little rushed because I wanted to say hi and that I’m back. Glad to be near a hi-fi connection again, and glad to be back with you guys. I’ll ramble some more soon.
Oh, I’m a Mac God now. I made the switch. Anybody wanna brag about a widget the Son of Man should have on His new laptop?
About Me? I'm 5 foot 11, brown hair, brown eyes, Son of God, eternal, I LOVE my family and friends, I LOVE my enemies, My dad can beat up your dad, created lightning bugs, etc. Got a question for Jesus Christ? Email me at wwjblog(at)gmail(dot)com, and maybe I'll answer you via this blog.
... and if you do, too, then please support the artists by buying their music. I post them for sampling purposes only. If you own the mp3 and would like Me to take any of these down, just email Me. I love you and I want you happy.